Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Night Before Christmass presented by FeatherSpeak


Night before Christmas...NDN Style
T’was the night before Christmas and all thru the teepee
Not an eyelid was shut because nobody was sleepy.
...
The Wal-Mart bags were hung by the fire so neat,
Hoping Chief Nick would fill them up with smoked meat.
The children were nestled all snug in their bed
While visions of fry bread men danced in their heads.
With Ulla in her kerchief and my hair braided tight
We turned up the scanner to entertain us tonight.
Then all of a sudden a crash we did hear,
The rez dogs started barking but that’s the norm around here.
The moon on the breast of the new falling snow
Gave the luster of midday to my rez car below.
When what to my ndn eyes should appear
But an ndn sleigh with eight tiny reindeer!
With a little rez driver so stoic but quick
I knew in a moment it must be Chief Nick.
More rapid then Rez Ballers the reindeer they came
And he pointed with his lips then called them by name.
On Fancy Dancer, on Smoked Meat, on Thomas and Victor,
On Back Strap, on Philbert, on Black Cloud and Trixster;
Sshhh, land beside the teepee, quiet for good reason
We have to be careful it’s deer hunting season.
The stickers on his sleigh read "I love baloney"
Another one read, "My other ride is a pony".
The one in the middle said NDN Power
There was duct tape and bailing wire holding it together.
When they teepee flap opened I just hung my head,
For I just finished off his stew and fry bread.
He was dressed in full regalia from his head to his moccs,
His outfit fully beaded right down to his socks!
His huckleberry eyes twinkled, his braids were like WOW!
You have to see it for yourself, he was just…somehow!
The stump of his peace pipe held tight in his teeth
And the smoke signals encircled his head like a wreath.
His face was kind of greasy and he was ndn size,
He had a commod bod only a skin could recognize.
He spoke not a word just flashed his Tribal ID.
He left a block of cheese and new tape recorder under the tree.
He left hand drums and blankets and round dance CDs,
huckleberry pies and the new Northern Cree!
Then he pointed with his lips, gave a big hearty AYYE!
And he danced out the door and jumped in his sleigh.
I heard him exclaim as he flew out of sight
"Merry Christmas to all, let’s round dance tonight

YUM!, guest blogger on making Naan....something I am new to and still working on

  Naan is tasty!   I wanted to make some, and from there on out, wellllllllllll, it's been a learning experience!   And I don't give...