Sunday, November 9, 2014

It's sorta like a cosmic apple pie

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch,

you must first invent the universe.

Carl Sagan (from Cosmos) 
 


For as long as I can remember, each year  I helped pick apples on the family farm.   The trees are ancient, and many have fallen to weather and brittleness in their ancient  limbs.   A good apple year also means an abundance of tinder, kindling and applewood for the smoker.   The remaining trees are pretty much on their own, no spraying, the only pruning is done by nature, but most years they produce a nice crop of  apples, with less than perfect skins, and the occasional coddling moth.
Apples that are excellent for cold storage, remaining crisp until February, if there are any that aren't turned into pies cobbles, dried or just peeled and eaten by then.

This picture is of a ready made apple  crust/ topping mix, really? a premade mix, I was not surprised that it was in the bargain bin.   but I bought it anyway. I thought what would my ancestors think of a mix used on apples from their orchard.  Upon thinking about it, they were the kind who would have to try it, perhaps try their own version of it, perhaps laugh at it, but still try it. It was Ok, not too bad, Yeah if I had too, had a good reason too I would use it again.
Even though it did really save me any time, and even in the bargain bin it cost more than my homemade.
Baking away, it filled the whole house with that warm spicy appley smell, that spelled  home made apple crumble, and long, long ago  Sunday dinner at Grandma's.
The smell of a fresh made apple crumble hung in the air for a long time. 
As it was baking I was taking the skins and cores out to dig into the garden, and compost there over winter, making the soil better for next years crops.  something I have done for over 30 years, and to my thinking apples make great compost.   Being able to peel an apple in one long continuous strip is something I have always been secretly very proud of, well perhaps it's not so much of a secret now.
It just doesn't seem like I am ready for winter until I have collected a few bushels of these apples, and have them at the ready.   When the snows get deep and the nights really old there will still be a few of these old pommes  for peeling and eating.  
            
                                                                                      

Monty Python, and now for something silly, "It's the Arts"

  An now for a warm memory from long ago, OK now for something completely different, and a bit of fun.  Monty Python and his Flying Circus a...