Thursday, October 6, 2011

First frost


The first frost of the season is predicted for tonight, the sky is is velvety expanse dotted with stars, and a crescent moon, there isn't even a whisper of wind. I am watching for a shooting star, so far I haven't seen one. The air is distinctly chilly, and is scented with the crispness of that chill.




I spent my time in the garden today, pulling out the tomato stakes and storing them away for next season, the gathering up the remaining few good tomatoes, and putting them into the "tomato convoy", then finally pulling out the plants and putting them in a heap, they will be burned along with the other garden waste that might carry disease.



There remain only potatoes to dig, and a few broadbeans that I hope will dry on the trellis. Of course there was also some time to sit back and enjoy the changing leaves and aroma of woodsmoke, a close up view of a spiderweb, the nostalgic feelings are overcoming me as I think back to picking acorns and apples, hickory nuts and milkweed pods, for that long ago time, when the world was a very different place. And so it goes.

guest blogger on 50 Marilyn Monroe Quotes

 Norma  Jean Mortenson,  thank you!         50 Marilyn Monroe Quotes That'll Make You Feel Empowered, Inspired and C...