Sunday, May 1, 2011

May day


When I was in grade school we always make little construction paper baskets, and filled them with dandelions, violets, whatever blossoms we could find, to be hung on doorknobs for May Day. I think, that to some extent the rise of the Soviet Union and it's May Day show of Military pride, may have made this loverly custom, less popular, or perhaps it was just the natural order of changing times that caused May Day to fade. It seems to me a holiday perfect for overly fancy greeting cards, howsoever, alas. I don't recall ever seeing a modern one.

My ancient soul celebrates it now as Beltane, or Walpurgisnacht, a cross quarter holiday. While we here in the Northern Hemisphere celebrate it our counterparts in the Southern celebrate, Samhain or Hallows.

Beltane celebrates fertility the beginning of the growing season, with with the exchange of flowers and lighting bonfires, reuniting ourselves with the land after the the long cold months that follow Samhain have separated us from the land. And the blessings of a May Day rain, can made this day all the more wondrous On this day the as with its counterpart Samhain, the veils between the worlds are thin. At Beltane the queen of faerie-folk rides abroad on her white horse, enticing humans to follow her into her enchanted realm. The decent into winter and the dark and hungry times of the the year are reversed at Beltane, Abundance returns.

I find myself seeing balance in the including a bit of Samhain, in my celebration of Beltane, as one does follow the other.







This was thoughtfully sent to me. Thanks Connie!

Bless, O threefold true and bountiful,
Myself, my spouse, my children.
Bless everything within my dwelling and in my possession,
Bless the kine and crops, the flocks and corn,
From Samhain Eve to Beltane Eve,
With goodly progress and gentle blessing,
From sea to sea, and every river mouth,
From wave to wave, and base of waterfall.

Be the Maiden, Mother, and Crone,
Taking possession of all to me belonging.
Be the Horned God, the Wild Spirit of the Forest,
Protecting me in truth and honor.
Satisfy my soul and shield my loved ones,
Blessing every thing and every one,
All my land and my surroundings.
Great gods who create and bring life to all, I ask for your blessings on this day of fire.
~ author unknown

YUM!, guest blogger on making Naan....something I am new to and still working on

  Naan is tasty!   I wanted to make some, and from there on out, wellllllllllll, it's been a learning experience!   And I don't give...