Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Now that summer has slipped away




The past few days I have spent spading my vegetable garden, getting it ready for it's winter dormancy. But, I have also been enjoying the wonderful autumn display.
Autumns is a feast for my senses, the gold color of the sunlight is enough to make me weep, Even though I know it will lead to the long dark nights of winter, I am still transfixed by it's beauty, and spend considerable time try to capture its glow in photos. Which never quite happens to my satisfaction.



The soft sound a leaves falling and the gentle clatter as the wind scoots them across the ground, are soothing, sometimes even sounding like a gentle rain, the reds , yellows. and oranges put on all too brief a display this year, seeing them on the ground slowly fading to brown, I feel so fortunate to have been able to enjoy them.
The early morning bird chorus is long gone now.
Though a curious chickadee will sometimes perch on the fence and chirp. I have been told that they live for several years and the they often seem to know who's door to beg for food at. Their almost melancholy song, is so welcome in the quiet landscape.



The bees are still working the last of the flowers and the drifts of St Michealmass Daises, I know that some people consider the daises weeds, but I think they are a beautiful flower, with their delicate tufts of lavender petals, nodding gently in the breeze. They are a part of the celebration.

There weren't a lot of apples this year, but sometimes the breeze will carry the scent of apples, or burning leaves. and soon the frost will cull what hasn't grown itself to exhaustion in this year with a seemingly endless summer, the air will be scented with wood or coal smoke while I rush to do the last chores. i can close my eyes and time travel back to the days when we would go to my Grandfather's house and pick apples and hickory nuts. while I lift the last of the potatoes, their aroma making me hungrier and hungrier.




Now that summer has slipped away.

guest blogger on 50 Marilyn Monroe Quotes

 Norma  Jean Mortenson,  thank you!         50 Marilyn Monroe Quotes That'll Make You Feel Empowered, Inspired and C...