Monday, September 13, 2010

Pulling up Stakes


Every year I put off garden clean up until the last minute, but this year I am going to pull up stakes early. But then this year I did have my garden in early.

the dictionary definition of Pulling up stakes is


• PULL UP STAKES (verb)
The verb PULL UP STAKES has 1 sense:

Meaning:

Remove oneself from an association with or participation in


A somber and meaningful chore, especially while there are still a few producing plants left standing. It really does feel like I am leaving something behind, beside my beloved summer season. Leaving behind the anticipation, the wonderment of the first sprouting seed and the first flowering , the first fresh produce for my table.
Also the blisters and heat, the stinging bugs and the failed plantings, and the hours of hard work that can end up counting for nothing. There are no sure things in gardening, its all in the variables.
When the last of the potatoes are lifted and the garden spaded, the compost is tilled in, leaves raked up to start next years compost and the work is as done as it will get for this year, I will look back, as I always do, and be totally pleased with myself

Guest blogger on Tsougrisma: The Greek Easter Egg Game

It's nearly here!   Tsougrisma: The Greek Easter Egg Game   Wooden spoons and a straw nest holding Greek red Easter eggs.   © Provided ...