Wednesday, August 11, 2010

berry picken thoughts


When a man chops his own wood he is warmed by it twice."


It's sorta the same with picking berries, there is the warmth of the summer sun ripened berry, fresh from the cane, and then the taste of preserved summer in the depths of winter.
But there is also the joy of gathering these fragrant gifts, the quiet, and solitude, and the satisfaction of seeing the pail filling. A chance to be still and watch the world rush past, or to think. Sometimes I even wonder about the people who picked here in "the good old days".

Today, while picking the last of the blueberries, I paused before covering them back up with the ancient and tattered curtain sheers, that have been used for this purpose since before we owned this property such being the quality of nylon. There were very few berrys left to ripen, and the blackberries were ripening early this year, so may-be the birds would like the remaining berrys.




As I hung the curtains on the clothesline. "This is for the birds" I said to no one there.

I wonder if that is where the saying came from.

YUM!, guest blogger on making Naan....something I am new to and still working on

  Naan is tasty!   I wanted to make some, and from there on out, wellllllllllll, it's been a learning experience!   And I don't give...