Friday, March 5, 2010

Not quite the first snowdrops

Today as the icicles crash from the eves and the first bits of ground melt out of the snow, I was wondering when I would see the first snowdrops, this happens every year, and sometimes they will literally grow up through the snow, an amazing sight.
Then I read this pieces from the Telegraph UK.





Rare Buddhist flower found under nun's washing machine
A rarely seen Buddhist flower, which blossoms every 3,000 years, has been discovered under a nun's washing machine

Published: 1:33PM GMT 01 Mar 2010

Rarely seen Buddhist Udumbara flowers, which blossom every 3,000 years, was found under a washing machine in Lushan Mountain, Jiangxi province, China Photo: REX
The Udumbara flower was found in the home of a Chinese nun in Lushan Mountain, Jiangxi province, China.
The rare Youtan Poluo or Udumbara flower, which, according to Buddhist legend, only blooms every 3,000 years, measures just 1mm in diametre.

Miao Wei, 50, was cleaning when she discovered the cluster of white flowers under the washing machine.
At first she thought the barely-there stems were worm eggs, however, the next day she discovered that the stems had grown 18 white tiny flowers on top and smelled "fragrant".
Local temples believe the mini blooms are specimens of the miraculous Youtan Poluo flower - called "Udumbara" or "Udambara" in Sanskrit, meaning "an auspicious flower from heaven."



Being the kind of person with a questioning mind, I am filled with wonder and curiosity. And I wish they had included a picture of the washing machine. Please pardon my irreverance, but I do wonder.

YUM!, guest blogger on making Naan....something I am new to and still working on

  Naan is tasty!   I wanted to make some, and from there on out, wellllllllllll, it's been a learning experience!   And I don't give...