Tuesday, December 29, 2009

New Years Plans


Don't know why this didn't occur to me until now, but in a few days the first decade of a new millennium is over. I think that should be significant, remembering the near panic that gripped people at the opening of this millennium. The nightly news regaled us with rumors of impending doom, espoused by people who had bought tons of tinned food and now made their homes in desert caves.
As I have every year since the early 60's I sat up to watch the new year festivities in Times Square. Wondering if the power grid would fail, all the computer dependent services would come to a halt. and nothing happened, and as usuall in those days car horns blared, firecrackers were set off, old guy down over the hill fired his rifle. Nothing new happened, the lights didn't even flicker. So I finished my champagne and went to bed.
Now, ten years after, living in a very different world. The lack of optimism, lack of hope, the widespread fear, and rumor mongering that pass for opinions. more electronically connected we get the more alone we become, less and less real contact and , more virtual life and the list goes on.
Again there I hope to sit, watching the refurbished ball drop in Times Square, in the dark with my champagne.....and being hopeful.

YUM!, guest blogger on making Naan....something I am new to and still working on

  Naan is tasty!   I wanted to make some, and from there on out, wellllllllllll, it's been a learning experience!   And I don't give...